Re: [INDOLOGY] Patañjali's syntax

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 12:08:28 UTC 2013

I'm still nagging at what Kaiyaṭa means by "karmaṇi ghañ".  My present best
idea is that he's invoking P.3.3.19 *akartari ca kārake saṃjñāyām*.  This
implies an origin from *mlich*, which is odd, but can be ignored, I think.
So "*mleccha*" is the recipient of the action.  This may explain the future
pass. part. that Nāgeśa uses, *nindyā* "to *be* blamed" (passive).  *Mleccha
* = "despicable", i.e., it is the *recipient* of criticism.  And P.3.3.19
makes "*mleccha*" a *saṃjñā*, which is right too. (I don't believe that P.
meant *ca* to negate *saṃjñāyām*, even if this *ghañ* is desired in non-*
saṃjñā* cases.)

I hope someone can improve on this :-)

Dominik