Re: [INDOLOGY] Patañjali's syntax

Hock, Hans Henrich hhhock at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 30 14:21:12 UTC 2013

Dear All,

A clue as to how to interpret yad apazabdaH may lie in the morphology of apabhASitavai, which is a Vedic formation; not also the Vedic particles ha vai. This may make it possible to interpret the passage mleccho ha vai eSo yad apazabdaH as an instance of what I have termed the "invariable yad-construction" (see the grammatical notes in my UpaniSadic Reader); so the translation would be something like this 'That indeed is barbarous [taking mleccha as adjective], namely/viz. incorrect speech.'

All the best,

Hans Henrich Hock