[INDOLOGY] Lamentations

Howard Resnick hr at ivs.edu
Mon Nov 18 02:14:02 UTC 2013

Hello Charlie,
	The notion of "laulyam", "ardent longing" (MW), in the sense of lamenting the world's state, and one's own fallen condition, and thus longing for pure love of God and pure empathy with all souls, is a central them in the expansive Gaudiya Vaishnava tradition.

	Excellent and numerous examples of this lamenting are found in the celebrated songs of Narottama Dasa Thakura  http://www.vaishnavsongs.com/narottam-das-thakur/  (click on 'bhajans' at the bottom), and Bhaktivinoda Thakura http://kksongs.org/authors/full_list/bhaktivinoda_full.html

	Even today, these songs remain very much canonical, and widely performed, in the GV tradition.

Best,
Howard