[INDOLOGY] Lamentations

Charlie Higgins practicesyoga at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 01:07:00 UTC 2013

Hello all,

I hope not to be too naive in asking: Can anyone recommend primary or
secondary sources regarding Indian "lamentations"?  Does such a genre
exist?  etc.?  I have been reading Song Dynasty Neo-Confucian writers like
Zhu Xi, who ridicules contemporary behaviors and customs as degradations of
ancient practices, and I began to wonder about similar lamentations from
India.  My question doesn't refer so much to prophecies regarding the cycle
of ages (satya--kaliyuga) and their degradation into the present.  I'm
wondering about potential firsthand observations that compare present with
past and lament contemporary practices.  I'm clueless, and any helpful
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Charlie