[INDOLOGY] question for European Indologists

Stella Sandahl ssandahl at sympatico.ca
Sat Jun 29 11:32:15 UTC 2013

Dear Elisa Freschi,
I am afraid you are wrong in stating that "Stenzler's Grammar has never been used, as far as I know, outside the German-speaking countries".  I studied and taught Sanskrit at Stockholm University between the years 1960-67, and I learnt and later taught from Stenzler. Since German wasn't our native language (which of course was Swedish) there were naturally some misunderstandings - this is an anecdote for Herman:  Stenzler glosses shakra as "Bein. des Indra" which we happily translated as 'Indra's leg' and were very astounded. Siegfried Lienhard patiently explained that Bein. stands for Beinahme.
I think that Stenzler was also used in Finland with a Finnish translation of the vocabulary, but Asko or Klaus can maybe confirm this.
I have also used Stenzler here in Toronto, but in Renate Soehnen-Thieme's English translation. It was not successful as an Introductory textbook, but proved a very handy reference grammar in the following years.
Long live Stenzler!
Best regards
Stella Sandahl
--