[INDOLOGY] Ajmer Font, Devanāgarī and Mac OS X

Mrinal Kaul mrinalkaul81 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 16:35:47 UTC 2013

I am re-sending below the message that I wrote on Indology Group on 25-06-2013. Since I did not receive any response that could solve my problem I considered to send it again. What precisely I want to know is that if at all it is possible to convert the Ajmer font into a modern Devanāgarī Unicode using some macros or computer code language.

Dear List,

I have some files written using Devanāgari and Roman fonts almost three decades ago. Unfortunately, the font used for writing Devanāgarī is Ajmer that was perhaps used more than a couple of decades ago for writing Devanāgarī on Macintosh. As I open these files on my MacBook Pro (X 10.7.5) I am able to read the Roman script but not the Devanāgarī at all. I understand that the font Ajmer is not compatible with the present versions of Mac. Is there some way I can convert the Ajmer-Devanāgarī files into one of the modern Unicode Devanāgarī fonts ? Or is it that these files can only be read on version 9 of Mac ? Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks very much in advance.

Yours,

Mrinal Kaul

************************
Mrinal Kaul
Università degli Studi di Napoli "L'Orientale"
Dipartimento di Studi Asiatici
Piazza S. Domenico Maggiore,
12-80134, Napoli (Palazzo Corigliano)
ITALY