[INDOLOGY] Dharmasastra quotation on upanayana

elisa freschi elisa.freschi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 7 08:43:14 UTC 2013

Dear Tim, dear Martin,

thanks for the interesting points (and for pointing to the 2005 article I had missed). I can only add that in Mīmāṃsā discussions "aṣṭavarṣaṃ brāhmaṇam upanayīta tam adhyāpayet" is the standard reason adduced by Prābhākaras as a *śruti* support of the adhyāpanavidhi, i.e. the idea that there is a duty to teach the Veda and that one's duty to learn the Veda is only a subsidiary to it. Thus, at least for the Mīmāṃsakas (the Bhāṭṭas dissent with the Prābhākara view, but not with the *śruti* status of the prescription) the prescription "aṣṭavarṣaṃ brāhmaṇam upanayīta tam adhyāpayet" has a śruti-status. It is, thus, seen as coming from a Brāhmaṇa.

Best,

elisa freschi

Dr. Elisa Freschi
Institute for the Cultural and Intellectual History of Asia
Austrian Academy of Sciences
Apostelgasse 23
1030 Vienna
Austria