[INDOLOGY] First use of 'Indology'

Malcolm Keating c.malcolm.keating at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 16:18:31 UTC 2013

Another Google resource is the Ngram viewer, which shows an instance of "Indology" in the English corpus as early as 1852 and 1854. Performing a Google Books search on this time period yields an instance in 1854, in "Types of Mankind: Or Ethnological Resources", selections from the papers of Samuel George Morton, M.D. published by Lippincott, Grambo & Co in Philadelphia. The pertinent passage is this:

"Indology" will protest against profaning the sanctified soil of Indra and Brahma with the mere "tail-race" of a Semitic pond, originally filled by the Nile! Shades of Wilford, Faber, Hales, and the spirit of Edgar Quinet! In Germany, appeal will at once be made to Van Bohlen! In Wales, to Arthur James Johnes, Esq! Does not everybody know, it will be said, that the primordial civilization (unceremoniously kicked out of Ethiopian Meroë by Lepsius,) first dawned upon the Ganges? that Memphis, (if not also Palenque and Copan,) received her holiest Penates at the hands of Siva, Vishnu, Bhairava, Crishna, or any other Indian deity a pundit might invent?

Ngram results: http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=Indology&year_start=1800&year_end=1900&corpus=15&smoothing=3&share=
Google book link: http://books.google.com/books?id=X2hAAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA633&dq=%22Indology%22&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ZqQjUf-2L6aFywGz2IGIBQ&ved=0CD0Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=%22Indology%22&f=false

Best,
Malcolm