[INDOLOGY] First use of 'Indology'

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 14:15:15 UTC 2013

The English Wikipedia entry <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indology> (15 Feb
2013) points out the early German and Dutch usage of the term, but doesn't
give dates.   The German Wikipedia
entry<http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indologie>is more detailed, but
doesn't track the history of the term itself.

The OED traces the word only to 1888:

  /ɪnˈdɒlədʒɪ/
 *Etymology:*  < Indo- comb.
form1<http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/94667#eid517415>
 + -logy comb. form <http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/109868#eid39107762>.
  Thesaurus »

  The study of Indian history, literature, philosophy, etc.
1888   *Trübner's Monthly List* Oct. 134   There is not a single branch of
Indology—with, perhaps, the single exception of Vedic studies—which will
not gain very considerably by its publication.
1895   *Atlantic Monthly* Mar. 399.
 but notes that this entry was published in 1900 and hasn't been fully
updated.

I don't think anyone today calls themselves an "Indologian."  The OED entry
for "Indologist" cites only from 1904:
Indologist, n.
View as:

   - Outline<http://www.oed.com/viewdictionaryentry:showfullentry/false?t:ac=Entry/94704>

   - Full entry<http://www.oed.com/viewdictionaryentry:showfullentry/true?t:ac=Entry/94704>

Quotations:

   - Show all<http://www.oed.com/viewdictionaryentry:showallquotations/true?t:ac=Entry/94704>

   - Hide all<http://www.oed.com/viewdictionaryentry:showallquotations/false?t:ac=Entry/94704>

*Pronunciation:*  /ɪnˈdɒlədʒɪst/
 *Etymology:*  < *Indolog-* (in Indology
n.<http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/94705#eid521492>)
+ -ist suffix <http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/100224#eid40503395>.
  Thesaurus »

  A student of Indology.
1904   M. de Z. Wickremasinghe in *Epigraphia Zeylanica* I. i. p. vi,   The
thanks of all Indologists are due to the Ceylon Government.
1928   *Spectator* 7 Apr. 535/1   Indologists at once recognized the
importance of this ample..collection of material for their studies.
1929   A. Stein *On Alexander's Track to Indus* xii. 89   M. Sylvain Lévi,
the eminent French Indologist.
1957   P. Worsley *Trumpet shall Sound* 224   The explanation of this
absence of millenarism from Hindu India..can only be attempted by an
Indologist.
1971   *Illustr. Weekly India* 11 Apr. 35/1   Hermann Jacobi (1850–1937) is
remembered with great reverence by indologists as a pioneer in the field of
Jain and Prakrit studies.

(Hide quotations) <http://www.oed.com/view/Entry/94704#>

Best,

--