[INDOLOGY] First use of 'Indology'

Lubin, Tim LubinT at wlu.edu
Fri Feb 15 14:12:53 UTC 2013

The Oxford English Dictionary takes it back only to 1888, but that seems too late, especially given that the quotation offered seems to treat the word already as a given.

  The study of Indian history, literature, philosophy, etc.
1888   Trübner's Monthly List Oct. 134   There is not a single branch of Indology—with, perhaps, the single exception of Vedic studies—which will not gain very considerably by its publication.
1895   Atlantic Monthly Mar. 399.

Derivatives:
  Indoˈlogian n. a student of Indology.
1897   A. Drucker tr. von Ihering Evol. Aryans 20   The endeavour of Indologians to attribute the highest possible degree of civilization to the mother-nation.

A quick search of Google books brings up some titles, but when I searched the text of those older titles directly, I got no hits, so the word "indology" must have been used in Google's bibliographic data.

Tim

Timothy Lubin
Professor of Religion and Lecturer in Religion and Law
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, Virginia 24450

http://home.wlu.edu/~lubint
http://ifpindia.org/Brahmanical-Culture-in-Ancient-India.html