Re: [INDOLOGY] āruka?

Jan E.M. Houben jemhouben at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 19:47:37 UTC 2013

G.-J. Meulenbeld 1999 HIML IA p 100 and IB p 165 note 217:
[aaruka:] identified as the common plum, the fruit of Prunus domestica
Linn. ... or as the peach, the fruit of P. persica Batsch ... An
auttarapathika fruit acc. to Cakrapanidatta, well known in Karttikeyapura.

On 26 April 2013 22:24, Robert Hueckstedt <rah2k at virginia.edu> wrote:

> Fellow listers:
> I wish to learn more about the āruka plant. It is supposedly used
> medicinally, and the St. Pete's has it as growing in the Himalayas, but I
> have come across it in Bāṇa's description of the Punjabi (now Haryana)
> region called Śrīkaṇṭha. In that description it (or most likely its seed,
> nut, fruit?) is being pecked at by a chukar partridge (cakora).  The phrase
> is: cakoracañcujarjaritāruka. Böhtlingk and Roth, following the
> Śabdakalpadruma, assign it the synonyms vīrāruka and vīrasena. The Hindi
> Śabdasāgar says it has a cooling effect. I simply would like to know what
> it is more precisely that this bird is pecking at.
>
> Gratefully,
> Bob Hueckstedt

Prof. Dr. Jan E.M. Houben,
Directeur d Etudes « Sources et Histoire de la Tradition Sanskrite »
Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, SHP,
A la Sorbonne,45-47, rue des Ecoles,
75005 Paris -- France.
JEMHouben at gmail.com