[INDOLOGY] āruka?

Robert Hueckstedt rah2k at virginia.edu
Fri Apr 26 20:24:30 UTC 2013

Fellow listers:
I wish to learn more about the āruka plant. It is supposedly used
medicinally, and the St. Pete's has it as growing in the Himalayas, but
I have come across it in Bāṇa's description of the Punjabi (now Haryana)
region called Śrīkaṇṭha. In that description it (or most likely its
seed, nut, fruit?) is being pecked at by a chukar partridge (cakora).
The phrase is: cakoracañcujarjaritāruka. Böhtlingk and Roth, following
the Śabdakalpadruma, assign it the synonyms vīrāruka and vīrasena. The
Hindi Śabdasāgar says it has a cooling effect. I simply would like to
know what it is more precisely that this bird is pecking at.

Gratefully,
Bob Hueckstedt