Re: [INDOLOGY] āruka?

Stella Sandahl ssandahl at sympatico.ca
Sat Apr 27 20:27:59 UTC 2013

Yes, indeed it is a plum, Prunus domestica. Indian Medicinal Plants  (Ed. by  the Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal , Orient Longman 1995)  vol 4, p. 356 says it grows in Himachal Pradesh and the Nilgiris.
"Parts used: fruits
Properties and uses: The fruits are sweet, laxative, refrigerant, appetising, stomachic (sic!) digestive and tonic. They are useful in vitiated conditions of pitta, dipsia (whatever that is), nausea, flatulence, colic, dyspepsia and debility."
Hopefully the poor cakora is just enjoying the taste... like the rest of us.
Best to all
Stella Sandahl

Professor Stella Sandahl
Department of East Asian Studies