Asian mathematical texts

Venetia Kotamraju venetia.ansell at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 21 10:44:41 UTC 2012

Dear list,
A publisher friend of mine is keen to publish an up-to-date and
well-produced translation of several of Asia's most important mathematical
texts including those from the Sanskrit tradition - please see his notes
below for more information.  He is looking for experts on these texts from
each of the different language traditions.
If anyone would be interested in working with him on this project, please
let me know and I will put you in touch with him.
Best,
Venetia

The book would be something like an Asian mathematical prequel to *On the
Shoulders of Giants<http://www.amazon.com/On-Shoulders-Giants-Stephen-Hawking/dp/0762413484>
,* which is a collection of the important works (in their entirety, in
English) of Newton, Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, and Einstein  put together
by Stephen Hawking. For the "Asian maths" version I was thinking it would
be good to include, at least,
Brahmagupta<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahmagupta>
, Bhaskaracharya <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bh%C4%81skara_II>,
Al-Khwarizmi<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu%E1%B8%A5ammad_ibn_M%C5%ABs%C4%81_al-Khw%C4%81rizm%C4%AB>,
and Zhu Shijie <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhu_Shijie>; maybe a few more
depending on the length of these; and market it similarly, as a sort of
collector's edition aimed primarily at Asian math & science professionals.

--
Venetia Kotamraju
+91 997230 5440