a question about 'dalit'

Andrew Ollett andrew.ollett at GMAIL.COM
Fri Sep 7 14:06:41 UTC 2012

Jonathan et al.,

Brown-Driver-Briggs lists דלל (dālal) with the meaning "hang, be low,
languish" (with some Assyrian and Arabic parallels for the root dall-).

Mayrhofer (EWAI) considers DAL "bersten, aufspringen" to be "Eine jüngere
-l-Form der Sippe von DAR(i)... die DAL-Sippe ist nicht ved... Schwerlich
setzt daher DAL eine von DAR(i) verschiedene Wurzel *del (mit lit. dalìs
'Teil' u.a.) fort..." In other words, dalati and dalita- are l-dialect
variations of the root dar- (dṛṇā́ti), which is inherited from
Indo-European derH2.

It's only in view of the 20th-c. meaning of "dalita" that a semantic
connection with Hebrew DLL appears.

Andrew