a question about 'dalit'

Dermot Killingley dermot at GREVATT.FORCE9.CO.UK
Mon Sep 10 15:35:06 UTC 2012

Dear Madhav, Jonathan and others,

It does indeed look like rubbish, but rubbish of an interesting kind.
The world is full of claims to antiquity, and other kinds of misguided
ingenuity. Sometimes it's an attempt by a marginalised group to give
itself status in the eyes of those who marginalise it. This one
reminds me of a recent study of a dalit group which claims descent
from the lost tribes of Israel (Yulia Egorova: "From Dalits to Bene
Ephraim: Judaism in Andhra Pradesh" in Religions of South Asia 4
(2010) pp. 105-124.) I wonder if the claim of Hebrew origin for dalit
has something to do with them.

Dermot Killingley