Improvements on La Tex?

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 31 17:26:51 UTC 2012

As one of the original authors of EDMAC (which morphed into LEDMAC and
eLEDMAC), I obviously think that using XeTeX or XeLaTeX and LEDMAC (or
variant, ho ho) is the True Path.  I've done editions this way, and have
been delighted with the results.  It's important to use an editing program
that makes things as easy as possible.  These days, I use TeXStudio, and I
like it.  But this is a matter of personal preference.  Other excellent editing
programs include Emacs, TeXWorks, and WinEdt.  I used WinEdt when I was
still on Windows XP, and I really liked it.  Since moving to GNU/Linux, I
had to leave it behind, sadly.  For comparisons, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_TeX_editors.  For Indic work, your
editing program must have Unicode support, and must use the Unicode variant
of TeX: XeTeX (with LaTeX and Polyglossia).  The links provided by Michael
just now will tell you more.

However, the Classical Text Editor by Stefan Hagel is also a capable
program, if you absolutely need a MS Word-like interface.  I am using CTE
myself these days, because I it was chosen as the project tool by the
Caraka Project long before I arrived.  I have a love-hate relationship with
CTE.  It has many real strengths, but also some weaknesses, some bugs, and
some inconsistencies.  The author, Stefan Hagel, stands solidly behind his
program, and fixes things as soon as you tell him, often within a couple of
hours.

In an ideal world, a front-end like CTE would export TeX or XML code that
could be compiled by XeLaTeX.  I think that's not actually an unrealistic hope
for the future, and some work in this direction has already been done by
Sebastian Rahtz at Oxford (TEI/XML -> LEDMAC -> PDF).

You should also look at Juxta. It addresses the issue of text editing in a
completely different manner, but has real strengths.

Best,
Dominik

--
Dr Dominik Wujastyk