Narmada and Narbada

Hock, Hans Henrich hhhock at ILLINOIS.EDU
Mon Oct 8 15:52:06 UTC 2012

The major problem, of course, is that the Sanskrit form that we have is narmadā, not naramadā. So, to get the suggested derivation one would have do assume something like a folk etymology, either of original naramadā (syncopated?) as narmadā 'bestowing pleasure' or of original narmadā (with svarabhakti?) as naramadā 'pleasure of men' (there is supposed to be a river name madā).

Cheers,

HHH