Narmada and Narbada

Suresh Kolichala suresh.kolichala at GMAIL.COM
Mon Oct 8 09:42:53 UTC 2012

Thanks a lot, Hock, for your detailed reply. I think the following
derivation makes much sense:

*naramada* -[lenition of labial nasal as nasalized oral stop]-> naraβ̃ada
-[syncope of second vowel]-> narβ̃ada > narbada.

In many NIA languages, /v/ in clusters does become /b/. For example, *parvat
*'mountain' > *parbat, **pabbī** *in many eastern and central languages*.* In
fact, in the eastern Indo-Aryan languages (such as Bengali, Oriya etc.),
even the intervocalic /v/ is merged with /b/ ~ [β].  For instance, *viv**āha
> bib**āh; bhuvaneśwar > **bhubaneśwar *etc.

On the etymology of *Narmada/ā*, we have the following theories so far:

   1. The traditional etymology according to the Sanskrit sources is: Giver(
   *d**ā*) of Pleasure (*Narma*).
   2. Witzel (1999) adduces to Pinnow who had pointed out many river names,
   from the  *Gaṇḍakī *to the *Narma-dā* to be containing the Munda element
   -*da’, *-da’k  'water' (Pinnow 1959: 69).
   3. It is also possible to ascribe a Dravidian derivation as there are a
   few river names and place names in South India with a suffix of -ma*ḍu(gu)
   *and *madu(ku) (*See [*DEDR
4658<http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?c.1:1:2076.burrow>]
   *and* [DEDR 4688<http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?c.1:1:2106.burrow>
   ])*

Since the influence of Indo-Aryan on the languages of the Narmada valley
appears to be much later (Kuiper 1966), I believe, we need to study the
corpuses (corpora) of Nahali, Munda (Kurku) and the Dravidian languages to
trace a possible origin for this hydronym.

Regards,
Suresh.