Hindu idea of "hidden" verses in heaven

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Feb 15 14:37:54 UTC 2012

15f12
Dear
All,
I am
reluctantly intervening just to add some links in the debate.
The
written archetypal book is not an original Indian concept. I just remind of the
Golden Quran in heaven that served as the model for the holy book on earth. No
such concept existed in India. What existed is the concept of the pristine Dharman..
See Nirukta 1.20. The sages knew the Dharman directly and made them into sermons.
It is the decay of the age that made them compile the sermons into (oral) books
called Veda and Vedāṅga.
heavenly book has not come into picture. And the written book is not a thing recognized
by the scriptures.
The
concept of an unedited undivided Veda do make itself felt. That is a common
concept among traditional scholars. But that is more the oral vidyās than the oral book. The Nirukta idea is not different.
The fate
of another concept too is not a much discussed thing. The three heavenly and one
earthly quarter of speech (and Puruṣa,
Virāṭ etc)
gave way to one heavenly and three lower quarters. The metamorphosis started in
the Bhadāraṇyaka and Chāndogya and was complete in the
Maitrī.
The older idea persisted till the Gītābut the Māṇḍūkya’s lucid description, richly
influenced by late Mahāyāna ideas, gave the inverted one a
shape acceptable to Gauḍapāda and later to Śaṅkara.  This may sound like heresy but is true (JIP 1978: 1-34).
Sorry
for the long lecture.
Best
DB