Hindu idea of "hidden" verses in heaven

elisa freschi elisa.freschi at GMAIL.COM
Tue Feb 14 21:13:43 UTC 2012

Just a marginal addition: a comparable idea is also found in
Pāñcarātra and in Viśiṣṭādvaita, when it is claimed that there
used to be a single original Veda (ekāyanaveda), of which we only
possess fragments. Some texts claim to be fragments of this
ekāyanaveda and the whole theory probably aims at claiming a Vedic
status for the Pāñcarātra (Marzenna Czerniak-Drożdżowicz spoke
about the ekāyanaveda in the last WSC).
The ekāyanaveda-theory  is sometimes found in connection with the
Prābhākara Mīmāṃsā claim that beside the Veda we know there is
another Veda which is nityānumeya (always only inferable [through
other works which are too good not to be rooted in the Veda]). Since
this is only inferable, it does not exist as such in heaven or in any
other "world".

Best,
  elisa freschi

Dr. Elisa Freschi
research fellow of Sanskrit
Facoltà di Studi Orientali
Università di Roma 'La Sapienza'
via Principe Amedeo 182b, 00185 Rome (Italy)
fax +39 06 49385915
http://elisafreschi.blogspot.com
http://uniroma.academia.edu/elisafreschi