Hindu idea of "hidden" verses in heaven

Christian K. Wedemeyer wedemeyer at UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Feb 14 18:10:48 UTC 2012

Not just Hindu at all, nor just Tantric.

I discuss the range of these narratives at some length in chapter three of my forthcoming book, _Making Sense of Tantric Buddhism: History, Semiology and Transgression in the Indian Traditions_ (Columbia Univ. Press, due out autumn 2012).

An outstanding treatment of the subtending issues regarding intellectual/cultural organization that are implicit in such concepts may be found in: S. Pollock, "The Theory of Practice and the Practice of Theory in Indian Intellectual History," JAOS, vol. 105, no. 3, pp. 499-519.

--
Christian K. Wedemeyer
Associate Professor of the History of Religions