Help in reading Telugu script

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Wed Aug 1 15:06:09 UTC 2012

Dear all,

On my desk I have a Sanskrit Mahatmya in Telugu script. The title reads:

Śrīmad-Āgneyapurāṇāntargata Tulākāverīmāhātmyam /
Rāmānujapuram-Ānandaṇpiḷḷai-Ālaśiṅgarācāryeṇa pariṣkṛtam. (Mahatmya on
the Tulakaveri feast, taken from the Agnipurana)

In the second part it is said that it was printed by the Sarasvati
Bhandara Press (Tiruvavlikkeṇi-Sarasvatībhaṇḍāramudrākṣaraśālāyām
mudritam), in the year 1874/1875 (Bhāvasaṃvatsare ...). What is puzzling
me is the name Tiruvavlikkeṇi. Is this a place name? According to the
India Office Library Catalogue, this work was printed in Madras. So, may
I conclude that Tiruvavlikkeṇi is Madras/Cennai or a part of it? Please
help me to throw some light on it.

I have put a scan of the title page under URL: <http://goo.gl/UZEYy>.

All the best
Peter Wyzlic

--
Institut für Orient- und Asienwissenschaften
Bibliothek