Comparison of Buddhist and Hindu literary sources

Ulrich T. Kragh utkragh at HUM.KU.DK
Wed Sep 7 14:17:04 UTC 2011

James Hegarty wrote:
>I am looking for explicitly comparative studies relating
>to Sanskrit and Pali sources (preferably of narrative materials) ...

You may see my article "Of Similes and Metaphors in Buddhist Philosophical Literature - Poetic Semblance through Mythic Allusion" in Bulletin of SOAS 73.3, 2010, pp. 479-502.

There you will find some cross-references between Buddhist Pali/Sanskrit and Hindu literature concerning the trope of the hamsarajan-bird (the article's general topic) and, more specifically, in fn. 21 you will find parallels listed for the various Buddhist and Hindu stories of a king's recognition of a bastard son with or without the plot device of a signet-rign (as, e.g., seen in Kalidasa's Abhijnanasakuntala).

Sincerely,
Tim

Dr. Ulrich Timme Kragh
Gonda Fellow, IIAS, Leiden