Comparison of Buddhist and Hindu literary sources

James Hegarty hegartyjm at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Wed Sep 7 11:43:52 UTC 2011

Dear Colleagues,

I recently completed a short comparative analysis of the way in which
the past is constructed in the Dīghanikāya and the Mahābhārata
(part of my newly published monograph, which I announced on the list
only a few days ago).

I now wish to take the comparison of Buddhist and Hindu literary
sources in Sanskrit and Pali further.

I am aware of work in Mahābhārata Studies in this area (most notably
that of Greg Bailey and Alf Hiltebeitel), but would be grateful for
suggestions of further reading (especially from the Buddhological side
of things). I am looking for explicitly comparative studies relating
to Sanskrit and Pali sources (preferably of narrative materials), but
also any archaeological, epigraphical or art historical studies that
may provide interesting data (particularly in terms of inter-religious
rivalry). I know this topic is hopelessly vast, and my own search for
materials will be ongoing, but recommendations from colleagues (of
their own work or that of others) would be most helpful!

Best Wishes,

James Hegarty
Cardiff University