New version of the Digital Corpus of Sanskrit

Oliver Hellwig hellwig7 at GMX.DE
Tue Sep 6 19:55:16 UTC 2011

Dear list,

I would like to announce a new version of the Digital Corpus of Sanskrit at
http://kjc-fs-cluster.kjc.uni-heidelberg.de/dcs/

The new version includes new texts, a new layout, and new features (refer to
http://kjc-fs-cluster.kjc.uni-heidelberg.de/dcs/index.php?
contents=help_center
for details).

I suppose that the topic search may be the most interesting feature of this
version. During the last few years, I have assigned topics such as
"Medicine", "dharma" or "politics" to chapters in the Sanskrit corpus (for
those of you present at the DICSEP at Dubrovnik: These topics are not
identical with those in my presentation!). The menu item "Topics" directs
you to the site where the top categories are displayed. Use the list to view
the subtopics and their references.
Some caveats when using this feature:
	a) I did NOT assign topics to all chapters.
	b) Topics reflect my ideas about the content of a chapter, and are,
therefore, open to any kind of discussion. Please remind that this function
was (and is) not a primary scientific aim of the corpus, but just an add-on.
	c) I tried to use the Library of Congress classification system as
guide for designing the topic hierarchy when I started annotating the
chapters. It soon became apparent that this system may not be the best
choice for classifying Indian literature. Therefore, some parts of the
hierarchy (e.g., on medicine) may seem a bit more structured than other
ones.
	d) Finally, some chapters were assigned to topics using a "batch
function"; this means that, for example, all chapters in alchemical texts
were assigned globally to the topic "Alchemy". This may result in wrong
attributions in some cases (chapters of alchemical texts that do not contain
any alchemical content etc.).

-----
PD Dr. Oliver Hellwig
Department of Classical Indology, South-Asia Institute
University of Heidelberg, Germany