Khemraj Shrikrishnadass / Shri Venkateshwar Press

Birgit Kellner kellner at ASIA-EUROPE.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE
Tue Nov 8 07:56:43 UTC 2011

Incidentally, the greater weight on originality and creativity - and
individuality - is also a feature of copyright in the European Union.

In Germany, for instance, critical editions are not protected by
copyright (though introductions and annotation may be, depending on
their character), but subject to a shorter period of protection of 25
years.

Though this may sound offensive to those of us who put a lot of
(creative and original, no doubt) work into editing, it is a great
advantage for making Sanskrit texts available in digital format in the
public domain, using more recent scholarly editions.

Best,

Birgit

Am 08.11.2011 06:11, schrieb venetia ansell:
> Hi Dominik,
> I had a discussion recently with an ex copyright lawyer here in Bangalore and based on that and reading a little about it on the internet (for instance the Wikipedia article on Indian copyright law here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_law_of_India) that would be my guess but it would be best to get a proper legal opinion on this.
> Incidentally, I asked whether textual/critical editions are copyrighted and in that connection my contact here noted that a recent change in Indian copyright law in 2007 means that creativity and originality are given more weightage than they used to be - it used to be based more on 'sweat of the brow'.
> Best,
> Venetia
>
> On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 2:09 AM, Dominik Wujastyk<wujastyk at gmail.com<mailto:wujastyk at gmail.com>>  wrote:
> Dear Venetia,
>
> Have you got a reference for that?
>
> Best,
> Dominik
>

> --
> Dr Dominik Wujastyk
> Department of South Asia, Tibetan and Buddhist Studies,
> University of Vienna,
> Spitalgasse 2-4, Courtyard 2, Entrance 2.1
> 1090 Vienna
> Austria
> Project<http://www.istb.univie.ac.at/caraka/>  | home page<http://www.academia.edu/DominikWujastyk>  | PGP<http://wujastyk.net/pgp.html>  | Free Dropbox account<https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTIzNzI2MTY5>
>

> On 7 November 2011 05:45, venetia ansell<venetia.ansell at gmail.com<mailto:venetia.ansell at gmail.com>>  wrote:
> Dear Anthony,
> My limited understanding of Indian copyright law is that copyright expires either sixty years after the death of the author or sixty years after the publication of a work if it is published posthumously or if it is a photograph.
> So it would seem to be fine to re-use by either reckoning.
> Best,
> Venetia
>
> On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 3:05 AM, A.Cerulli<acerulli at aya.yale.edu<mailto:acerulli at aya.yale.edu>>  wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
> I am trying to check on permissions for an image (a black&  white drawing) I'd like to reprint that came out in an edition of the Caraka Samhita with Shri Venkateshwar Press in 1898<tel:1898>.
>
> I wrote to the press using an online contact form at the Khemraj Shrikrishnadass website, but received no response.
> Does anyone on the list have a contact at this press who might be able to help me?
>
> Also, re copyright laws, does anyone know if after a certain number of years an image in a book becomes part of the public domain?
>
> Thanks in advance for your assistance.
>
> All the best,
> Anthony Cerulli
> Hobart&  William Smith Colleges
>

> --
> Venetia Ansell
> [...]

--------

Prof. Dr. Birgit Kellner
Chair in Buddhist Studies
Cluster of Excellence "Asia and Europe in a Global Context - Shifting
Asymmetries in Cultural Flows"
University of Heidelberg
Karl Jaspers Centre
Vossstraße 2, Building 4400