SV: [INDOLOGY] praa.naayaama again

Dominic Goodall dominic.goodall at GMAIL.COM
Sun Jul 31 10:56:45 UTC 2011

Dear all,

Many thanks indeed for all these helpful pointers !

When I first scanned through the various passages (to which may be added also the C11th Tattvaratnaavaloka and its autocommentary, by Vaagii"svarakiirti, and Sa.mvarodayatantra 19:30, both of which use the expression pra"saantaka), I had the impression that there were several different notions of a fourth praa.naayaama that might have been added independently.  But one label (for Supraśānta, Praśānta and Praśāntaka are clearly, in essence, the same name), which I had thought rare, turns out to be shared by several early Śaiva sources and a few Buddhist tantric ones.

So now I wonder whether the various notions of the 4th praa.naayaama do not after all all start from Yogasūtra 2:51 (baahyaabhyantaravi.sayaak.sepii caturtha.h), which is (for me) obscure because it uses that rather multivalent verb aak.sip. (Does it mean “pervade”, as the Vivara.na interprets, or “examine” as Bhojadeva supposes, or something else again?)

What I mean is that perhaps there was after all one original conception of a 4th praa.naayaama: a profound super-kumbhaka that is not measured out but that is felt to come to exist, after long practice, as a state that underlies all three other praa.naayaamas.

As for the name sa.mgha.t.taka/sa.mgha.taka in the Siddhasiddhaantapaddhati, it perhaps reflects that all the other 3 are grouped or fused in the fourth.

I can make nothing of “ejecting like an arrow”.  Could the Tibetan be interpreted in any other way? How is pra"saantaka rendered in Tibetan translation when it occurs in the Hevajratantra ?

In sum, even though I don't really quite understand what is meant by Supraśānta, I feel I know a lot more about it thanks to the interesting messages of Hartmut Buescher, Ulrich Kragh, Judit Törzsök and others.

With thanks,
Dominic Goodall