praa.naayaama again

Judit Torzsok torzsokjudit at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jul 30 21:20:50 UTC 2011

This fourth phase is also mentioned in Siddhayoge"svariimata 7.21, which calls it pra"saanta and claims that it is mental (maanasa). More detailed (nondual) explanation is given in the Tantraaloka + Viveka 17.87ff, trying to read this practice into the Maaliniivijayottara (which, however, does not seem to have it). Abhinavagupta understands that the practice starts at the muulaadhaara and goes up to the dvaada"saanta. Although the Siddhayoge"svariimata usually speaks of 3 parts of praa.naayaama (praa.naayaamatraya in 17.20 as well as elsewhere, e.g. in 19.2) when it prescribes the purification of the body, it adds this "fourth" part here, in 7.21, as something particularly associated with the seed syllable of Paraa, in/ with which one must keep the breath with kumbhaka.
JT