religious embryology in India

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Jan 28 15:42:12 UTC 2011

 I do not know if this will be of help or even if anyone has already reported this.

Mrs. Janet Chawla, has an organization Mātrikā (this name
itself may lead to the webpage) that tries to disseminate knowledge among women
about themselves. She collected some material from, among others, secondary
studies on ancient Indian literature.  Much of that concern childbirth and related
features.

Best

DB

--- On Fri, 28/1/11, A.Cerulli <acerulli at AYA.YALE.EDU> wrote:

From: A.Cerulli <acerulli at AYA.YALE.EDU>
Subject: Re: [INDOLOGY] religious embryology in India
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Date: Friday, 28 January, 2011, 11:42 AM

Dear Andrey,
Here are some more:

Bhattacharyya, Swasti. 2006. *Magical Progeny, Modern Technology: A Hindu
Bioethics of** **Assisted Reproductive Technology*. State University of New
York Press.

Das, Rahul Peter. 2003. *The Origin of the Life of a Human Being: Conception
and the Female According to Ancient** Indian Medical and Sexological
Literature*. Motilal Banarsidass.

Hara, Minoru. 1980. "A Note on the Buddha’s Birth Story." In *Indianisme et
Bouddhisme: Mélanges offerts à Mgr* * Étienne Lamotte*. Université
Catholique de Louvain.

Hüsken, Ute.2009. *Viṣṇu’s Children: Prenatal life-cycle rituals in South
India*. Harrassowitz Verlag.

 Kapani, Lakshmi. 1989a. "Note on the Garbha-Upaniṣad." In *Fragments for a
History of the Human Body*. Michel Feher, et al (eds). Zone 5, Part III.
Zone Books.

Kapani, Lakshmi, trans. 1989b. Upaniṣad of the Embryo. In *Fragments for a
History of the **Human Body*. Michel Feher, et al (eds). Zone 5, Part III.
Zone Books.

Sasson, Vanessa R. and June Marie Law (eds). 2008. *Imagining the Fetus: The
Unborn in Myth, Religion, and Culture*. Oxford Univ. Press.

Selby, Martha Ann. 2005. "Narratives of Conception, Gestation, and Labour in
Sanskrit Āyurvedic Texts." *Asian Medicine: Tradition and Modernity*, vol.
1, no. 2: 254-275.

Tewari, Premvati. 2003. *Āyurvedīya Prasūtitantra Evaṃ Strītoga*. 2 vols.
3rd Edition. Chaukhambha Orientalia.

Tewari, Premvati V. 1997. *Introduction to Kāśyapa-Saṃhitā*. Chaukhambha
Visvabharati.

Yamashita, Tsutomu. 1995. "Śārīrasthāna of the Āyurveda – A Comparative
Study." *Studies in the History of Indian** Thought*, vol. 7: 105-113.

Best,
Anthony Cerulli
Hobart and William Smith Colleges