AW: [INDOLOGY] default reply behaviour (was: curses)

Kellner, Birgit kellner at ASIA-EUROPE.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE
Sun Feb 27 20:33:06 UTC 2011

The process (hit "reply all" to reply to the list, then remove individual sender from "to"-field) is simple enough, in my opinion, and having fewer list-members embarrassing themselves and others is a great advantage!

Best,

Birgit Kellner
Von: Indology [INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk] im Auftrag von Dominik Wujastyk [wujastyk at GMAIL.COM]
Gesendet: Sonntag, 27. Februar 2011 20:18
An: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Betreff: Re: [INDOLOGY] default reply behaviour (was: curses)

On 26 February 2011 22:18, Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan <palaniappa at aol.com>wrote:

> Just now I realized that with the current default reply in the list going
> to the original poster, the following response I had sent a few days ago did
> not go to the list.

Can we review this?  It's a change that was made in the default behaviour of
the INDOLOGY list, by popular request last year.  It annoys me a lot, but,
unlike Muammar al-Gaddafi, I'm perfectly willing to abide by the will of the
majority.

The problem we were trying to solve was private replies to colleagues on the
list that inadvertently became public.  Perhaps that is a greater danger
than the annoyance of posts not going to the list at all.

How do others feel?  Reply to sender, or reply to list at large?

Best,
Dominik
INDOLOGY committee member