taxonomy question

elisa freschi elisa.freschi at GMAIL.COM
Sat Aug 6 10:27:15 UTC 2011

Dear James,

I would add the distinction between "born from an uterus" (yoni-ja or
jarāyuja), "born from an egg" (aṇḍaja), "born from sweat/
warmth" (svedaja) and born from water (udbhijja). The latter group
includes all sorts of plants. The four groups seem to include all
living beings in common understanding, but some philosophical schools
(I am thinking now of Prābhākāra Mīmāṃsā texts specifically)
oppose the view that also the latter ones are living beings and claim
that they are just like stones (crystal may also grow, but are
nonetheless non-living).

yours elisa freschi

Dr. Elisa Freschi
research fellow of Sanskrit
Facoltà di Studi Orientali
Università di Roma 'La Sapienza'
via Principe Amedeo 182b, 00185 Rome (Italy)
fax +39 06 49385915
http://elisafreschi.blogspot.com
http://uniroma.academia.edu/elisafreschi