taxonomy question

Stefan Baums baums at BERKELEY.EDU
Sat Aug 6 11:33:21 UTC 2011

Dear James and Elisa,

> "born from an uterus" (yoni-ja or jarāyuja), "born from an egg"
> (aṇḍaja), "born from sweat/warmth" (svedaja) and born from water
> (udbhijja). The latter group includes all sorts of plants.

the Buddhists have aṇḍaja, jarāyuja, saṃsvedaja and upapāduka
(spontaneously born: some classes of gods, etc.). Plants are not
included in this variant of the classification, but since yoni
here serves as the cover term they were evidently not meant to be
covered. I wonder which of the two variants of the list is
primary.

All best,
Stefan

--
Dr. Stefan Baums
South and Southeast Asian Studies, UC Berkeley