taxonomy question

Andrey Klebanov andra.kleb at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Fri Aug 5 21:03:01 UTC 2011

Dear members of the list!
my sincere apologies for a series of my blank emails, which I have just noticed!
not sure, how it could happen and whether it might be a bug in the "versions" feature of the new OS X Lion.

what I thought to mention was a quotation from Suśrutasaṃhitā that came to my mind by reading the word "dichotomy" and then Dr. Gangsten's mentioning of sthāvara-jaṅgama. It also [most probably] places the human being (the object of medical applications and the main subject of medical science) - puruṣa -  outside of this classification.

SS 1.1.22: ... loko hi dvividhaḥ sthāvaro jaṅgamaś ca dvividhātmaka evāgneyaḥ saumyaś ca ... tatra puruṣaḥ pradhānaṃ tasyopakaraṇam anyat, tasmāt puruṣo 'dhiṣṭhānam ||

and later on the origin of oṣadhi-s
1.1.29 tāsāṃ sthāvarāś caturvidhāḥ vanaspatayo vṛkṣā vīrudha oṣadhaya iti | ....
1.1.30 jaṅgamāḥ khalv api catuvidhāḥ jarāyujāṇḍajasvedajodbhijjāḥ |

(just as a side-note: the distinction of sthāvara-jaṅgama is more commonly found in medical treatises as a classification of poisons by the type of their carrier, see e.g. chapter 2 and 3 of SS Kalpasthāna)

with my repeated apologies

best
Andrey