Re: an āmalakī in the palm of the hand

Dominik Wujastyk wujastyk at GMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 30 19:21:02 UTC 2011

Dear Ryan,

In my view, your Tibetan colleagues are simply wrong.  Or else they are in
receipt some odd tradition that has strayed far from the original meaning of
the āmalaka-in-the-hand simile, and got lost on the way.

The āmalaka/ī is and was the Emblic myrobalan (Emblica officinalis,
Gaertn.<http://botanicus.org/name/Emblica_officinalis>).
There are many pictures on the web, and even one of some emblics in
someone's hands:
here<http://www.holistic-herbalist.com/image-files/amalaki5.jpg>
.

Emblics are a common fruit in South Asia, and have been so for over two
millennia.  The word "emblic" was very common in English amongst the British
in India, as it was a well-known, fruit often consumed daily.  Many
references in Hobson-Jobson<http://dsal.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/philologic/getobject.pl?p.1:242.hobson>(who
also asserts on good authorities that Skt. āmalaka is the origin of
the
name of the Malay city Malacca!).  My subjective impression is that British
Indian authors referred to emblics more or less as one might today refer to
an apple.  "Emblic" wasn't at all a rare word (or fruit).

The simile is just, as you say, something totally obvious.  Think, "as plain
as an apple in the palm of your hand."

I think we can just set aside all talk of transparency and inner structure.
(I also think that the idea that something with an exterior can in some
sense be explained by reference to its inner structure is probably a rather
modern idea, and probably not Sanskritic at all.  At the very least, it
should be questioned, as a concept.  Ask, with what vocabularly would such a
concept be expressed in Sanskrit?)

Best,

Dominik