Persian and Arabic borrowings in Sanskrit

Martin Gansten martin.gansten at PBHOME.SE
Wed Apr 6 18:03:35 UTC 2011

Many thanks to all who responded to my query so far. I have consulted
Weber's work, and now find that I need to qualify my original question
somewhat.

Weber (1887: 21) gives a list of Sanskritization of Persian phonemes in
the Pārasīprakāśa (c. 1600). However, this list does not quite tally
with the examples I have seen in Sanskrit astrological works dating
(probably) from the 13th century or earlier. One obvious possible
explanation is that pronunciation had changed over the intervening
centuries.

My modified question, therefore, must be: what are the earliest
documented examples (preferably lists) of Sanskritized Persian or Arabic
words after, say, 1000 CE?

Vidvajjanadayāpātram,

Martin Gansten