Enquiry with regard to colour symbolism in Hindu Traditions

Arlo Griffiths arlogriffiths at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 1 23:06:17 UTC 2010

I highly recommend the study
Damais, Louis-Charles: Études javanaises. III. A propos des couleurs symboliques des points cardinaux. In:  Bulletin de l'Ecole française d'Extrême-Orient. Tome 56, 1969. pp. 75-118.
<http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/article/befeo_0336-1519_1969_num_56_1_3994>
[I myself have a problem downloading articles from this site recently, and got a blank file when I tried this one a few months ago; hopefully that problem is resolved now; in any case, the article can be consulted and searched online.]
It is presented as an 'étude javanaise', but in fact contains many properly indological data, and in any case, the Javanese tradition is equally a Hindu Tradition.
Arlo GriffithsEFEO/Jakarta