Enquiry with regard to colour symbolism in Hindu Traditions

Dipak Bhattacharya dbhattacharya200498 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Nov 1 17:13:14 UTC 2010

The Aalankaarikas beginning with Bharata speak of the individual colours pertaining to particular rasas. Another source will be the dhyaanas of deities in the Tantric manuals.
Best
DB

--- On Mon, 1/11/10, James Hegarty <hegartyjm at GOOGLEMAIL.COM> wrote:

From: James Hegarty <hegartyjm at GOOGLEMAIL.COM>
Subject: [INDOLOGY] Enquiry with regard to colour symbolism in Hindu Traditions
To: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Date: Monday, 1 November, 2010, 3:53 PM

Dear Colleagues,

An undergraduate student recently asked me about colour symbolism in Hindu Traditions.

I realised very quickly that I knew very little about this.

Can anyone suggest readings (primary and secondary) on this topic?

With Thanks and Best Wishes,

James Hegarty
Senior Lecturer in Indian Religions
Cardiff University