Enquiry with regard to colour symbolism in Hindu Traditions

Peter Wyzlic pwyzlic at UNI-BONN.DE
Mon Nov 1 17:28:12 UTC 2010

Am 01.11.2010 um 16:53 schrieb James Hegarty:

> An undergraduate student recently asked me about colour symbolism in Hindu Traditions.
>
> I realised very quickly that I knew very little about this.
>
> Can anyone suggest readings (primary and secondary) on this topic?

Here are two theses:

Jain, Narendra Kumar: Indian Colour Symbolism. Berlin, 1978
Berlin, Techn. Univ., Diss., 1977

Slavik, Jan: Dance of Colours: Basic Patterns of Colour Symbolism in Mahāyāna Buddhism. Göteborg: Göteborgs Etnografiska Museum, 1994. (Etnologiska studier, v. 41). ISBN 9187484080
University of Göteborg, Ph. D. Thesis, 1994

Besides these, many publications on iconography deal also with religious symbolism and will give lots of references in this respect.

Hope it helps
Peter Wyzlic

--
Institut für Orient- und Asienwissenschaften
Bibliothek