apology

Steven Lindquist slindqui at MAIL.SMU.EDU
Tue May 11 14:21:16 UTC 2010

I would like to strongly second this sentiment.  I worked in this department at Concordia for three years and found the faculty there (S. Asia and otherwise) to be collegial, supportive, and actively engaged researchers of exceptionally strong caliber.

That said, I think we all need to remember that we have all, at one point or another, voiced subjective opinions (in the heat of the moment, out of legitimate frustration, etc.) aloud or in emails that would horrify us if they were made public.  We should do everyone the courtesy (those who posted and also the faculty at Concordia) of remembering that it could be any of us on the giving or receiving end of such communications (indeed, it most certainly has been, but just not publicly).  Best to forget about it completely (except as a cautionary tale).

I strongly urge the moderators to find a way to change the format of list emails: they appear in inboxes as sent by individuals, but then they "reply to" the group.  This is clearly the reason for such errors (at least, it was in the case in my own misposting in the not too distant past).  I have myself set up email rules to shuffle list emails into a special folder to try to avoid this problem, but this should be unnecessary (I have no such issues with any other list).

Best,

Steven

--
Steven Lindquist, Ph.D.