apology

Richard Hayes rhayes at UNM.EDU
Tue May 11 14:45:13 UTC 2010

On May 11, 2010, at 8:21 AM, Steven Lindquist wrote:

> That said, I think we all need to remember that we have all, at one point or another, voiced subjective opinions (in the heat of the moment, out of legitimate frustration, etc.) aloud or in emails that would horrify us if they were made public.

I started using e-mail so long ago that new users were then given courses by the IT department at my University on how to use this new tchnology. One piece of advice has always stuck with me (even though I have occasionally failed to observe it): "Never say anything in an e-mail that you would not wish to appear on the front page of the NY Times."

> I strongly urge the moderators to find a way to change the format of list emails: they appear in inboxes as sent by individuals, but then they "reply to" the group.

I strongly second Professor Lindquist's strong urging. Of the many lists I receive, this Indology list results in by far the most red-faced apologies for messages sent here by mistake. (By the way, Steven, are we still on for lunch today?)

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
MSC03 2140
1 University of New Mexico