AttagadhaM padmam

Marco Franceschini franceschini.marco at FASTWEBNET.IT
Tue Jul 27 09:15:40 UTC 2010

Dear list members,

in the kavya I'm working on (Buddhaghosa's Padyacudamani) there's a
reference to the god Brahma taking the fragrance away (and the pride
down, with double-entendre) from the lotuses:

tadAnanenduM bhuvi niHsapatnaM
nirmAtukAmena pitAmahena /
akAri padmaM dhruvam Attagandham
antaHkalaGkaM ca sudhAMzubimbam //

(the stanza describes queen Maya, the mother of Siddhartha)

"It was surely out of his wish to make her [the queen's] moon-like
face unequalled in the world that Brahma deprived the lotus of its
fragrance [and: took its pride down], and marked the moon disk with
the spot"

I've never heard of Brahma humiliating lotuses: does anyone know what
the poet refers to?

Thank you in advance for any suggestion.

Best regards,

Marco Franceschini