INDOLOGY FAQ. Re. Varanasi

Richard Gombrich richard.gombrich at BALLIOL.OX.AC.UK
Thu Feb 18 16:46:46 UTC 2010

I am a former General Editor of the Clay Sanskrit Library.  Because of
its sudden unforeseen demise just over two years ago, it is a painful
subject.  However, at least George Thompson's posting has given me a
good laugh.

It was John Clay's ambition to introduce classical Sanskrit literature
to a wider public, and we have ample evidence that in this aim he was
far from unsuccessful.  A scholarly man, unusually well endowed with
common sense and experience of the wider world, he argued that the
failure to reach a wider public must largely be laid at the door of
Sanskritists themselves, who refused to offer the world books which
ordinary educated people could regard as readable.  He was joined by a
fair number of Sanskritists, many of them young, who were or became
convinced that he was right.  The collapse of the series had
absolutely nothing to do with this issue.

George Thompson is correct: the Clay programme did not include Vedic.
Therefore the need to have regard for conventions in transliterating
Vedic is not obvious to me.  We also left the conventions for
transliterating modern Indian languages, e.g. Hindi, out of
consideration.

Our conventions for transliterating Sanskrit names might have been
different had the normal scholarly transliteration not been on show a
couple of inches to the left.  The reader interested in such matters
-- and we have ample evidence that they constituted only a very small
minority, sad though this may be -- were deemed to be capable of
moving the direction of their gaze by that very small distance.  Since
the names began with capital letters on the left-hand page as well, no
one could possibly miss them.  We thus found a remarkably economical
way of conveying a lot of information: it is very easy for anyone to
garner full information about the pronunciation of every Sanskrit
name, while those who do not care about that are at least nudged into
pronouncing the name with a correct stress.

Richard Gombrich