INDOLOGY FAQ. Re. Varanasi

Christian K. Wedemeyer wedemeyer at UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Feb 18 16:41:53 UTC 2010

On Feb 17, 2010, at 2:15 PM, Benjamin Slade wrote:

> The pronunciation of "f" for "ph" is a wide-spread phenomenon among
> (some) speakers of Indo-Aryan languages; e.g. Hindu/Urdu _phal_
> "fruit" is sometimes rendered by native Hindi speakers as _fal_,
> _phir_ "then" as _fir_, _phul_ "flower" rendered as _ful_ (Hindi
> films like to play with the resulting homophony with the English
> borrowing _ful_ "fool"...).As far as I can tell, these are all
> hypercorrections:

(I'm not a linguist, so excuse any clumsiness:)

But, are these labiodental fricatives, like the English f, or bilabial
(as, for instance, in Japanese)? I would suspect the bilabial version
(which is what I have heard, I believe, in Northern India and Nepal),
which is similar in articulation to a voiceless aspirated labial. In
that case, rather than "hypercorrection," might this perhaps be due to
a more general, systemic phonetic change (possibly stimulated by
contact with Perso-Arabic speakers)? Or is this not a useful
distinction?

(Sorry, I'm with Allen...gotta get some more coffee...)

--
Christian K. Wedemeyer
Assistant Professor of the History of Religions