Southern trip of "vaaraaNasii" (Re: INDOLOGY FAQ)

Smith,Travis LaMar tlsmith at UFL.EDU
Wed Feb 17 03:59:43 UTC 2010

I am surprised and fascinated by these southern pronunciations of Varanasi. Regarding V.S. Rajam's report of a third variant, however:

(iii) வாரணசீ "vAraNasii". In a recent blog, I found the
following quote from the famous singer M.S. Subbulakshmi's
"suprabatham" : "வாரணசீ குலபதே மம
சுப்ரபாதம்" ["vAraNasii kulapatE ... ... "], which
is interesting since the vowel in the last syllable of the city's
name under consideration is long. My memory of the "suprabatham"
doesn't help me here. I don't have music recordings to confirm this
fact either.
Note that the vowels in the syllables of வாரணசீ
"vAraNasii" are long-short-short-long.

I suspect that the source of this is actually the popular hymn attributed (doubtfully, needless to say) to ZaMkaraacaarya, the refrain of which runs: "vaaraaNasii-pura-patiM bhaja vizvanaatham...." It is of course in the same meter as the several suprabhAtam hymns, addressed to various deities, and also uses the technique of the repeated final pAda refrain, hence the confusion with the suprabhAtam mini-genre. I don't think I've heard M.S. Subbalakshmi's version but I'd be surprised if it were not this: it's quite well-known among the legions of Sanskrit praise-hymns to Varanasi. The point being that this is probably not an additional variant of vaaraaNasii, but simply the "official" Sanskrit version.

The other variants remain very interesting, and I wonder if and how early they follow the common Puranic etymology of vaaraaNasii = varaNaa + asii (as per the Tamil lexicon cited by Jean-Luc Chevillard). I still assume that this is a "creative" etymology and not a historical one (one would expect a long-A in the penultimate syllable if it were a real compound), but its (premodern?) employment outside of the Sanskrit PuraaNa-s would be a matter worth exploring.

Thanks and best to all,

--
Travis L. Smith
Assistant Professor