Southern trip of "vaaraaNasii" (Re: INDOLOGY FAQ)

rajam rajam at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Feb 17 16:37:14 UTC 2010

I found a link to M.S.S' recitation:
http://ww.smashits.com/music/malayalam/play/songs/452/Suprabhathams/
9064/Kashi-Viswanatha-Suprabhatham.html

Within the first 1.23 minutes of the recitation and later around 6+
minutes, I hear "vaaraaNasi" (வாராணசி) with the vowel
pattern long-long-short-short, which is different from what I saw in
the blog (வாரணசீ).

I don't hear a long vowel at the end of "vaaraaNasi" maybe because of
the smooth gliding into the next word. A word spoken in isolation may
be mangled (or, is allowed to be mangled) in singing? This happens
quite often in Tamil.

--r