sa.wikipedia.org

Prof. Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos zydenbos at UNI-MUENCHEN.DE
Mon Feb 1 13:36:18 UTC 2010

Op 31.01.2010, om 09:26 heeft James Hartzell het volgende geschreven:

> Not sure whether colleagues are conversant with this Sanskrit
> Wikipedia link
> (sa.wikipedia.org), and what the consensus opinion is;  from a very
> brief
> look it appears only short articles for some entries, some partly in
> Hindi.
> It might be a good venü for centralizing links for Sanskrit digital
> documents, audio recordings, videos, university websites, etc.
>
> It was started last week by a team of Samskrita Bharati volunteers in
> Bangalore
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Academy/India/2010/Bangalore1

Not quite: the _Academy_ had its first meeting a week ago. The
Sanskrit Wikipedia is much older (I know, because I've written in it
and corrected a bit of the sometimes embarrassingly poor Sanskrit
too). I find the idea of a Sanskrit Wikipedia very sympathetic, but
till now the quality both of language and of content leaves a thing or
two to be desired. The fact that much of the information provided on
the Wikipedia pages about the Sanskrit Wikipedia is not in Sanskrit,
but in Hindi (why?...), is food for thought. (So let's help and do
something about it! we who call ourselves Sanskritists!)

> additionally, we might think of starting some pages on
> scholarpedia.org?

Nothing against that, but -- we also have our very own
faq.indology.info Wiki, started by Dominik some time back. He seems to
be the only person who has written a real article in it till now (I
must hang my head in shame and confess I didn't get much further yet
than extending the frame for http://faq.indology.info/index.php/Languages_and_Writings
  - but I am working on something to upload. Really).

Prof. Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos
Department für Asienstudien - Institut für Indologie und Tibetologie
Universität München
Deutschland
Tel. (+49-89-) 2180-5782
Fax  (+49-89-) 2180-5827