AW: [INDOLOGY] deyadharma

Kellner, Birgit kellner at ASIA-EUROPE.UNI-HEIDELBERG.DE
Fri Dec 17 12:00:30 UTC 2010

As von Hinüber's book just happens to be open on my desk, and since Arlo might not have access to it, here's the gist of it:

Von Hinüber follows M. and W. Geiger ("Pāli Dhamma vornehmlich in der kanonischen Literatur", Kleine Schriften, Wiesbaden 1973, esp. p. 191) in assuming the meaning "Sache, Gegenstand" for dhamma in this compound. Hence the original meaning must be "something that is to be given". And this corresponds to canonical and Theravāda usage of the term. Deyadharma gradually replaces the older dāna (so also Bhattacharya, Dāna-Deyadharma, p. 51f.).

Birgit Kellner

Von: Indology [INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk] im Auftrag von Jonathan Silk [kauzeya at GMAIL.COM]
Gesendet: Freitag, 17. Dezember 2010 12:11
An: INDOLOGY at liverpool.ac.uk
Betreff: Re: [INDOLOGY] deyadharma

I don't know what Harry wrote, since must have directed himself to you
privately, but my own notes indicate one should consult:

Oskar von Hinüber, Die Palola Ṣāhis: Ihre Steininschriften, Inschriften auf
Bronzen, Handschriftenkolophone und Schutzzauber. Materialien zur Geschichte
von Gilgit und Chilas. Antiquities of Northern Pakistan: Reports and Studies
5 [Mainz: Verlag Philipp von Zabern, 2004]: 177ff.

--
J. Silk
Instituut Kern / Universiteit Leiden