A note on Poets in the Akananuru

Jean-Luc Chevillard jean-luc.chevillard at UNIV-PARIS-DIDEROT.FR
Mon Apr 19 07:01:28 UTC 2010

Dear S. Palaniappan,

once could also see it the other way round
and say that the group of poems under consideration
is what remains of a bigger structure
which may have contained Verse linked by Prose,
like what we have in the பாரத வெண்பா [pārata veṇpā],
உத்தியோக, வீடும, துரோண பருவங்கள் [uttiyōka, vīṭuma, turōṇa paruvaṅkaḷ]
as it was printed in 1925,
[patippāciriyaṉ: paṇṭita a. kōpālaiyaṉ].

Another possibility is to say
that the group of poems alludes, in a learned way, to local popular
performances.

Think of what Gananath Obeyesekere writes on pp.605-606
in his 1984 book /The Cult of the Goddess Pattini/
(The University of Chicago Press, ISBN 0-226-61602-9)

He writes
<QUOTE>
It seems apparent to me that most South Indian scholars are wrong when
they assume that the ritual texts derive from the /Cilappatikāram/; the
contrary is truer, that the /Cilappatikāram/ is a well-crafted work of
art that uses material from a preexistent and coexistent ritual
tradition. (p.605)
[...]
I agree with South Indian scholars like Dikshitar who state that Cāttaṉ
narrated the events he actually saw (Dikshitar 1939, p.71), except that
I think Cāttaṉ saw not a natural event but a ritual drama.! (p.606)
<QUOTE>

Regards

-- Jean-Luc Chevillard (Paris)