A note on Poets in the Akananuru

Sudalaimuthu Palaniappan palaniappa at AOL.COM
Wed Apr 21 06:06:24 UTC 2010

Dear George,

With respect to dating, as I mentioned in my first response to your post, the antādi type versification must have present in the folk culture and Cilappatikāram's kuṉṟakkuravai 12-14 shows the origins of the genre. In the folk culture, it could have been a performance where two or more persons could have participated in antādi versification. In that case, each of them could be an individual verse by a different individual. (So ten verses of that kind cannot be considered as of the same type as epic poetry.) Similarly, the decad type verses could have been part of the folk culture too. Although Tiruvācakam is a significantly later work, the different types of folk theme verses in decad form in Tiruvācakam (as in Aiṅkuṟunūṟu) suggest that both are patterned after folk practices. (What is so significant about the number ten? One can possibly speculate that when youngsters play the versification game, if they are keeping track of number of verses, having 5 or 10 (the fingers on one or both hands) as the basis might be easy to do. Even today, when we try to keep tally, often we do it in 5s or 10s.)  Thus the features of antādi and decads could have existed in the folk culture long before they entered formal literature. Patiṛṛuppattu and Aiṅkuṟunūṟu may show the beginning of their induction into formal poetry while the Bhakti poetry shows their full development. But there is nothing to indicate such induction could not have been coeval with other Classical Tamil poems. So, in that case, one does not have to consider Aiṅkuṟunūṟu to be a late text and so the same author could have produced a poem in Akanāṉūṟu as well as Aiṅkuṟunūṟu. Again, if one considers the variety found in the works of Māṇikkavācakar, that is not outlandish. In modern times, if one considers the Tamil film lyricist Kannadasan's songs, one will find that:

in 1968 he wrote the following song in Chennai style.
elantai payam elantaip payam
cekkac cevanta payam - itu
tēṉāṭṭam iṉikkum payam
ellōrum vāṅkum payam - itu
ēyaikkinu poṟanta payam
Here payam < paḻam, ēyai < ēḻai, poṟanta < piṟanta

In 1970, he wrote the following song in literary Tamil.
karaiyēṟi mīṉ viḷaiyāṭum kāviri nāṭu - eṅkaḷ
uṟaiyūriṉ kāvalaṉē nī vāḻiya nīṭu
koṭiyēṟip puli viḷaiyāṭa, kuṉṟēṟip pukaḻ viḷaiyāṭa
maṭiyēṟi maḻalaiyar āṭum maṉṉavaṉ vāḻka - poṉṉai
varaiyātu vāri vaḻaṅkum teṉṉavaṉ vāḻka

So, I am somewhat skeptical of attempts to date the poems on the basis of an assumed linear-sequential development of forms over time. Multiple forms could have existed contemporaneously.

In any case, the following post of mine in another list may be of interest to you regarding problems in how some non-Tamil scholars date Tamil literary developments. (At the bottom of the post, you can access other posts on the same topic.) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Indo-Eurasian_research/message/8907

Regards,
Palaniappan